Ofsted's Views of the School
We were absolutely delighted to have received recognition from Ofsted, who visited us in May 2012 and judged us to be Outstanding. We are the first secondary school to achieve this judgement in the whole of the North East since the new framework was introduced in January 2012. The school was judged to be Outstanding in every single category (Achievement, Teaching, Behaviour and Leadership) and we feel it reflects the fact that our school has improved greatly over the last few years. They told us that "achievement is outstanding because students make excellent progress as they move through the school." They were also very impressed with the teaching, judging 49% of all lessons observed as Outstanding, a figure higher than any we are aware of even in other schools judged to be outstanding. They said that "students benefit from the exceptionally productive climate for learning that pervades the school and excellent teaching that enables them to make rapid progress." Ofsted also said that "behaviour is outstanding. Students respond exceptionally well to the adults who work with them and they trust them." They said that "as a result of all of these efforts students receive a first-class education" and we are truly delighted that the school, our young people, staff and the community we serve has got this recognition. It will allow us to improve even further in the coming years.
- "George Stephenson is an outstanding school where students' attainment has risen rapidly to well above average levels in response to the vision and drive of a highly committed and enthusiastic headteacher and his staff."
- "Achievement is outstanding because students make excellent progress as they move through the school."
- "Students benefit from the exceptionally productive climate for learning that pervades the school and excellent teaching that enables them to make rapid progress."
- "Behaviour is outstanding. Students respond exceptionally well to the adults who work with them and they trust them."
- "Students conduct themselves exceptionally well, whether they are in lessons, walking from one room to another, using social areas or eating lunch. They are invariably polite and welcoming."
- "The school provides students with an exceptionally safe and supportive environment for their education. Students say that they enjoy their education and recognise the quality of lessons they receive and the effort that members of staff put into them."
- "An exceptionally strong commitment to equality of opportunity is reflected in the success that the school has in ensuring that all groups of students achieve as well as each other."
- "These successes and the rapidly rising attainment for students of all ages clearly indicate that the school has excellent capacity to secure further improvements and move forward again."
- "As a result of all of these efforts students receive a first-class education."
The full report can be read here.....[click here]
News coverage of our Ofsted success.
Newcastle Evening Chronicle Website: [click here]
Early Day Motion tabled in the House of Commons by our MP, Mary Glindon, asking the House to recognise and congratulate us on our Ofsted report. [click here]